Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Big Plans


I remember planning my life out when I was a girl. My dreams changed, but I was very particular and specific about them, at least till I changed my mind. My eight year old daughter pronounced that she wants to have 13 children and fill up a 15 passenger van the other night at dinner. The next night she said that she wants to sew all the clothes for her family in "Prairie Style" and weave the cloth herself and spin all the yarn herself. I think she's been reading Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Pretty much she's saying she approves of my ideals and choices, but she's gonna do it all better than I do it. Well, good plan, as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to do it all better than me, too!


She's such a little even tempered thing, too! She probably could handle 13 kids no problem, she already mothers the youngest two children all the time. I have to forbid her to hold the baby during school because she'd much rather play with him than do math. I know she probably won't have 13 kids or weave all her family's fabric for clothing, but I'm proud that she understands what a privilege and honor it is to be a homemaker. She understands already how it is a hard job, but one that has scope for so much creativity and inventiveness, joy and challenge. It makes me proud to inspire her, cause she's gonna be quite a woman no matter what she becomes. I take pride in my roles as nurturer and inspirer, educator and nourisher, comforter and mentor. I know that the better I get at my job, the more I invest in the people in my life, and in the care of that which I've been granted, the more power my actions yield. The act of smiling in spite of the hard work, and even because of it, can inspire my girls to serve with joy, and to love being useful.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you can get Harrowsmith magazine in the States but if you can, I think you would love it. It's Canadian so all the stuff they recommend works at 20 below and in the snow too, meaning it's tough! It got started when I was at Queen's University in the 70s and Harrowsmith is a village near Kingston where Queen's is. I have no other connexion with the magazine other than sentimental, so I'm not selling it! But your daughter (and you!) might like the concept. Check it out online.

    Also, don't forget to visit Foodie Farmgirl's blog as she is living a life we dream about too, with sheep and chickens and cats, oh my.

    ReplyDelete